Travelling around York in a way that is good for the environment and your neighbourhood deserves more than just a pat on the back. With the BetterPoints app your sustainable journeys can earn you rewards every time you walk, wheel, run, cycle, or take the bus.
Earning BetterPoints is easy! Download the BetterPoints app from the App Store or Google Play. You can record how you get around and the app will show you how many minutes of active travel you have clocked up, how much carbon you have saved, how many calories you've burned - and how many BetterPoints you've earnt! You can turn your points into high street shopping vouchers (including the York Gift Card, which is accepted at over 300 businesses) or donate them to your favourite charity!
BetterPoints York is all about helping you to contribute to a cleaner, greener city by travelling in ways that benefit the environment, health and traffic flow, as well as the local economy!
Follow these instructions to get you started:
1. Download the BetterPoints app from the App Store or the Google Play Store (scan the QR below if you're not reading on your phone).
2. Tap Join Now in the app and fill out the form.
3. You will be automatically added to the BetterPoints York challenge if you have a York postcode. There will be a welcome message about this on your timeline in the app.
4. Turn tracking on or off in the top right-hand corner. Leave on to automatically record your trips and make sure you're recorded for every journey.
5. Start earning BetterPoints and BetterTickets (prize draw entries)!
6. If you live outside York but commute in and would like to participate please contact customer care for a code to add you to the challenge: email@example.com
How can we help you to stay motivated?
With BetterPoints you can see your points accumulate on the app for your efforts, we will also share news of what is going on in your area to help you to stay active. We run regular campaigns and prize draws to keep you motivated.
How much information do I need to share to sign up?
When you first register to use the BetterPoints app, it will ask you to provide personal details to get you started. This includes your name, email address, year of birth, location, and postcode. We also ask you to create a secure password for accessing the BetterPoints app and protecting your account. You can choose to turn on auto-tracking: all GPS data is anonymised, aggregated and only used for reporting so that City of York Council can improve travel planning for everyone. By sharing GPS tracked journeys you are helping to make York greener, cleaner, safer and more liveable for everyone. To find out more about what we do with your information please see our Privacy Statement.